
Justin's Grandma Stacey passed away last Sunday. Even though Justin and I have been married for almost 13 years I never got to know her very well. She was diagnosed with cancer soon after we were married. Even though she recovered and lived many years after that it forever changed her. I do have many memories of going to visit her and spending time with the family but I never knew her as the person Justin remembers. She was his grandma that as a child he has many happy memories of. Here are some of the things he has shared with me that he remembers about her. When they would go to her house she always had things for them to do. They never watched TV at her house. They played games or helped her make things (like Christmas candies and popcorn strings). She had a big party at her house on Christmas Eve and had lots of presents for everyone (amazing considering how large the family is). Justin said that she just kept bringing in more and more presents (which now Justin's mom and dad are like that now). She expected them to be nice and mannerly. Justin and his brothers had soap put in there mouths a number of times for something they said. She was the grandma who babysat them and took them places like going to see Saturday's Warrior at Weber State. She made it possible for him to buy his first car by co-signing on the loan.
Her funeral was yesterday. We spent the day with the family. It was amazing to see how much the family has grown. She has 38 grandkids who have now given her 64 great grandkids. It was a huge group. As a mother I can appreciate the influence of a grandma and love the time and memories my own kids share with their grandparents. Even though I did not know Grandma Stacey very well I do know Justin's mom. And I can see many of the things that she does with our children are things that Grandma Stacey did with hers. She is always happy to have the grandkids come over. She always has crafts and fun things for them to do there. Christmas is amazing how many presents there are and the thought that goes in to each gift to be exactly what you want. She is the most selfless person I know, always doing things for other people. Justin made the comment that his mom is who she is today because of Grandma Stacey. How much I appreciate that because she is a blessing in our lives! I think the thing that makes a grandma special as I think back to my own grandma is how they make you feel when you are with them. That they always have time for you and love to be with you. That every grandchild secretly thinks that they are grandma's favorite. I hope that someday I can be a great grandma like them.
7 comments:
I just got caught up on all your posts! You have had an eventful summer! I love the twig story! Riley reminds me of myself in that situation! Sorry to hear about Grandma Stacey, I am glad we know we will see our loved ones again!
Sorry for your loss. Peace be with you and the Martin Family.
I am so sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose someone so loved.
She looks so familiar to me for some reason. Did she used to live with Dave and Flo? I swear I remember her coming to Amanda's soccer games.
Thanks for the thoughtful blog spring. I love you!
Thank you Spring. You never cease to amaze me at the things you accomplish with such love and patience. The memories you and Justin and making with your family will be remembered all their lives. Love you! Mom
That is such a nice post. Thanks for sharing.
Also, I love the cute picture of Devin in your sidebar. He is growing!
Jamie,
Amanda is Justin's cousin so I wouldn't be surprised if she was at the soccer games. She never lived with them though.
Post a Comment