Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Joy

I was reading a book the other day and a wonderful description of how a parent feels about their child. I guess I should give credit to the author. I read it in Tombs of Terror by T. Lynn Adams. It seems like an odd place to discover it, but it really touched me. "Ever since his birth, I've only wanted the best for him...the very best. When he was a newborn I wanted him to have the best night's sleep he could have, so I gave up my sleep to hold and rock him when he cried. As he got older, I gave up money for my clothes to buy him new shoes or a new pair of pants. I gave up opportunities I wanted, just so he could have things he wanted. He got braces and computer games, he joined soccer teams....I did it all for him, and do you know what? I didn't mind. In fact, I gave it all up, knowing full well that I could never give him as much as he had already given me. From the moment I first held him in my arms, he gave me joy and a purpose I'd never felt before. He gave me life, and I knew that I'd give up my life for him." Being a parent is hard. And it is a struggle, but it also the greatest blessing I have ever received. Before I had my children I never could have imagined how much you could care about someone and would be willing to sacrifice so much for anyone else. I love my kids and I am thankful they are part of who I am.

2 comments:

Pulcheria said...

Beautiful thought. Adorable pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Jamie said...

That is a great quote and oh-so very true!