Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Fishin' the Green
Justin and I went to the Sportsmen's Expo earlier this year and he found a place that does guided fly fishing on the Green River. He loves to fish but has never done a lot of fly fishing and he wanted to learn how to do it better. So he booked this trip for 3 days with 1 full day of 8-10 hours of fishing. And he wanted me to go with him. I love to spend time with Justin and was excited for time away from home and the kids. But I was very nervous about the fishing part of it. I like to fish for an hour or two and I have never been fly fishing in my life. As the trip grew closer I got more and more worried. We had recently watched A River Runs Through It and I knew there was no way I could do what they were doing. I just remember my friends from high school practicing casting and hooking their ears.
So the day came and we headed to Flaming Gorge. We stayed in Dutch John which was a lot smaller than I remembered. We got there the day before the trip to get settled. We met our guide about 9am and set out. We had been rafting on the same stretch of the Green River years before but I had forgotten how beautiful it is there. I have to admit I was really intimidated at first. Our guide was excellent. He put me up at the front of the boat so he could keep his eye on me at all times. I was hoping to lay low in the back where no one would be watching me. No such luck! The first thing I realized was it was alot more time consuming and alot more work than I thought it was going to be. We were fishing the whole time except for a lunch break. It was not sitting in the boat and watching my line. It was constant casting and mending your line. I had a hard time casting correctly to begin with and I started to get frustrated. It took me a little while but I finally caught on. I have to admit it was the most fun I have ever had fishing. We caught a ton of fish and they were about 18-20 inches. Which is a lot bigger fish than I have ever caught. Justin went through an hour stretch where as soon as he got his fly in the water he caught another fish. He caught over 20 fish.
We really had a great time! I was nervous and scared to go, but it turned out to be a wonderful experience. I had alot of fun with Justin just the two of us. We got to hike, fish, and talk to each other with little ones interrupting every other minute. Thanks for taking me, Justin!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I would take you again anytime. It was a blast!!
That looks like it was such a fun trip. Isn't it fun to get away with our better halves and to remind ourselves, "hey, I really do like you! I'm so glad we are married!"
What a fun trip! Love the pictures.
what a great trip!! it sounds so fun to just hang out with your hubby for a few days.
Post a Comment